Monday, March 06, 2006

Life in CA

So after a frightfully early wake up call this morning---ie 4:30am is NOT my time of the morning--we safely made it to DFW and on our respective planes without too much free time. About a zillion hours later and a long lay-over in Phoenix, AZ I arrived in Bakersfield, CA. Bakersfield greeted me with sheets of rain and palm trees bent before the wind.

It is amazing the people whom you meet in airports and on the planes. I had an engaging conversation with an IBM programmer who recently returned from Moscow and we spent a fun two and a half hours discussing international travel, the wonders to be found when you get off the beaten path and the hotel business. It was really fun and yes he did ask me out for dinner while I'm in the Bakersfield and LA area. It was fun and reaffirming of my desireability factor at a time when I was really second guessing that issue. Sometimes I just wonder if all I am is a businessperson and not the whole "Hot/cute" girl who gets hit on occassionally. And the answer to that is a resounding "Yup I can play both roles" cause apparently some people still find me desireable.

But anywho...back to topic. I picked up my rental car and my bags----btw, I still can't pack lightly to save my life. I'm glad B. carried my bags this morning :) and lugged all my luggage and computer case and other assorted necessary items out to the car in pouring rain and proceeded to venture out on the CA roads.

After two car wrecks and a closed exit (which I needed to take) I safely manuvered my way to the Motel 6 in Bakersfield East and checked in. Once again I have been blessed with a recently renovated room---can anyone say glaring primary colors!--and thus far the staff all seem great.

The time change is going to trip me up for a while. I'm having a heck of a time remembering that Dallas is two hours ahead of me and that is actually three hours ahead of me. So if anyone gets emails and phone calls at really weird hours, all I can say is sorry and that by the end of the month. I'll have it down but then I'll be back in Dallas for three days and will have to readjust once again. The joys of travel.

But I'm off to actually do some work, so thats all for now and I'll keep everyone updated with the CA details as they happen.

No comments: