Tuesday, July 17, 2007

Vacation

A very nice person left the comment the other day asking how my vacation to Colorado went?

In a nutshell. It was simply fantastic. The weather was very warm - mid-upper 90's every day but very nice and cool evenings. The mountains were beautiful, I have about three disposable cameras worth of picture to develop (I forgot my good camera, remembering it when I arrived at the airport and was frantically looking for it so I could separate it when going through security). But even though I will have a vast array of pictures with which to remember the trip, there are at least 100 other pictures that as I was driving I kept thinking, "oh, I need to stop and take a picture of that, or that, or that". There aren't words enough to desirable the steepness of the canyon walls rising on one side of the narrow road, and the rushing whitewater of the Cache le Poudre river on the other side. The twisting narrow roads with the steep switchbacks provided new and breathtaking vistas at every turn. Of course a minor downside to this was the fact that it was a holiday weekend and thus there were a half dozen cars filled with kayaks, mt bikes and people right on your bumper as you were driving into the mountains, but the higher the elevation the more people thinned out. It might have had something to do with the thinness of the air also :)
The 4th of July saw me enjoying a street fair and that evening a wonderful fireworks show in Wellington, CO. Each and every day I ventured out either to a different brewery or revisited one which I thought was fantastic. Many thanks must go out to Fat Tire Brewery for their cheerfulness, excellent beer and passion for the environment. And for letting me visit them and enjoy samples on more than one occasion! If I could work somewhere and have fun everyday, that would be the place. Of course Odell Brewery was wonderful-their 90 Schilling and 50 Cent beers were fantastic. A wonderful sample of 6 beers could be obtained for $3.00. Well worth the minor cost.
All in all it was everything that a vacation should be - relaxing, good food (on a budget), wonderful scenery, exciting things to do and plenty of time to read and just soak up the sun. I wish I was back on vacation at this moment :)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the update on the vacation. I am going to Colorado next month for vacation and was wondering if you ran across anything fun. I guess I will have to check out Fat Tire.

-Anonymous Blog Reader