Tuesday, November 01, 2005

New Employee's

My staffing situation at work has taken a positive turn and this morning I started a new GSR on the 7-3pm shift. It was so funny to watch this poor new employee deal with all the guest personalities, the other GSR personalities and of course the Housekeepers who are a unique breed unto themselves. Such a flood of impressions assaulting this poor guy who is just a kid, no more than 18, and is fresh out of high school that at times I wondered if he would stick it out or simply call it quits and "go for a cough drop". "Going for a cough drop" is secret code for simply clocking out, going to your car and driving away without looking back or saying anything to anyone. Real story---a Housekeeper started her first day, 30 minutes into her shift (all she had done thus far was watch training videos), she said she needed a cough drop and she got into her car and drove away without saying another a word to anyone!

Anyhow back to my new employee--for a first "real" job this will definitely prove to be a learning experience for him. But all we can tell the new employees' is that while the beginning might be a little frightening and overwhelming it does get easier with time and before he/she knows it they will never want to leave. Actually now that I think about it that in and of itself is a little frightening! Oh well, what doesn't kill them makes them stronger:) In addition, I have a new employee starting for the 11pm-7am shift so if all works out well and they continue to show up on time for their scheduled shifts, I (dare I say it?) might be fully staffed once again---bliss, utter bliss!

So its happy, happy days again, plus its Taco Tuesday in Joplin with the biking group, so I'm off for a couple of Margaritas and cheese quesadillas (cause I don't like Mexican food!) and a few laughs.

3 comments:

Jeff said...

You got blog spammed. :). Gongrats on getting a couple of new employees. I hope that helps your situation a bit and allows you to catch up on my deserved personal time.

Sarah Loyd said...

Hey, I don't care what that blog spammer says, I think your boobs are great!

Uhhh... at any rate... I'm glad that you're on your way back to being fully staffed again so that you can hopefully regain your sanity! Had fun talking to you last night, I'll call you later this week... the Stars are on tonight!

Ryan Loyd said...

GUESS WHAT -- IT'S OFFICIAL!!! I GOT MY REQUEST FOR TIME OFF TO COME TO J-TOWN FOR YOUR GRADUATION!!!! Get ready for lots of eggnog, toasts, burning rubber on snowy roads, and Christmas cheer! I love you Janette, and we can't wait. Oh, but first you are coming here for Thanksgiving -- so plan on many of the same things I just said, except we'll burn rubber on luke-warm highways and visit the Flying Saucer several times. Oh, and you can help us decorate for Christmas too ;)

Talk to you soon, little Jan!