Wednesday, November 09, 2005

Overachiever

Sometimes its not good to be an overachiever. I knew that previously but felt it was worth mentioning again just as a personal reminder that I don't have to be superwoman everyday 24/7. In a little over two weeks I will have my first opportunity in a long time to slow down and relax, if only for four days. I'll be heading to the great state of Texas for Thanksgiving with two of my best friends who could be considered family in the grand scheme of life. A good friend asked me the other day why I wasn't flying and to be honest I had to tell him that if I had flown down I would probably have been tired, cranky and unfit for civilized company because the past few months have been so stressful and fast-paced that it will take a little time to come off from that level. Thus its my hope that the drive to Texas gives me plenty of time to sing wtih the radio,as my poor CD's are all scratched up from bad interstates (Missouri is not known for smooth roads), relax, enjoy the scenery and think about the next step (the move to Texas at the end of December) in a very unhurried manner as I maintain a sedate speed of 85 mph through Texas. I can't wait!

But in the meantime I need to relax about the research paper, relax about biology (nasty subject), relax about French cinema and just let the chips fall where they may. The world will not stop spinning if I take a little time for myself and not work a 14 hour day. Its a novel idea but hey, somethings take a while to sink into my head.

So I guess, that after I receive the recommended revisions back from Sarah for the research paper I'm going to call it quits. I'm going to head home, have a drink or two, do my French homework and hit the sack early. I had a wonderful conversation with Sarah and Ryan last night and it just reminded me how important it is to have close friends in you life for balance. Sometimes I focus so much on what needs to be done that I forget the people around me which isn't fair to them or to myself as my frustration levels have a tendancy to increase expotentially in those types of situations. So here's to the future.....Breathe and Relax.

5 comments:

Ryan Loyd said...

I think that you are a great achiever, no matter if you're relaxing or working. Can you believe the time is almost here, though? That you are almost done at Southern... you are almost done with papers... that you are about to move here?! So take your time now because when it's over, it's over. Breathe, relax, and look around you. This is one of the best times of your life. Oh, and don't drive 85 through Texas. We have some grouchy state troopers! (I want you to be safe anyway).

Sarah Loyd said...

Ryan's right, state troopers are grouchy here. But the state is big and wide and the highways (when they're not under construction) are delightful to travel on. As Jeff can vouch, too, nothing clears your head like a long drive on a long Texas highway.

Jeff said...

Yeah driving good, tickets not so good. I remember doing lots of driving in high school, Grayson county had lots of good roads to just clear your head with. I hope you were able to relax some last night.

Sarah Loyd said...

Grayson County roads and Tori Amos! Man, I was such a sad sack in high school...

And I do recall you pushed that Cavalier a little too hard, Jeff!

Jeff said...

Yeah I was a super speed demon then, but now I am much better and safer. Still speed most of the time, but not like I was. Yeah Tori Amos and driving seemed to together well. Kinda like screaming "Hey Jude" at the top of your lungs with the sun roof open and driving across the country. :)