Thursday, February 02, 2006

Fun in Austin

So today ended up being the shortest Audit on record...Stephen and I both teamed up for the Audit and were able to finish by noon. By 2 we were in Austin and I had already made my much anticipated, longed for, hair appointment. Its just one of those things for me that when life gets a little wacky, I get my hair done. Not anything strange or bizarre, unless I feel like it, but just the time of papering. So my adventure began when I asked the front desk where the nearest mall was. Very important thing to know because when you are a stranger in a strange town, its no fun wandering all over town looking for a hairdresser. So thankfully the mall if just on the other side of the Interstate so I located the mall number and asked the very helpful customer service lady for recommendations of hair salons. Her response was and I quote "Visible Change seems to have a lot of people going there". Okay, not the worst review, but not the best either. But then I think, its in the mall how bad can it be? So I make my appointment for cut and color. I arrive on time, found a good parking spot, and found the salon without incident. Already this seems promising. When I enter the door of the salon I am assaulted by the images of "hairdressers". Okay, think New York snob, think LA style, think these people are all 10 years younger than me!!! That and the overflow of attitude coming from each stylist. When the phrase was coined that stylists are Divas, it was directly intended for this group. But I take my courage into my own hands, enter the black doorway into the black, chrome and mirrored salon and let the three people behind the reception desk know that I'm here for my appointment. Judgment ensues. I guess I just didn't have enough Pizzazz for them. But they were gracious enough and 5 min later someone calls my name. I'm taken to the back and led to this little room where I'm told to disrobe....okay I'm thinking someone messed up and thought I was there for a massage or something. But no apparently for colors in this place you disrobe and wear their black salon robes. Which were very comfortable actually.

After being appropriately gowned I'm turned over to a colorist. My mistake was in thinking that the individual doing my color was also going to do my cut. Apparently there are colorists, stylists, receptionists, shampoo girls, towel girl etc. And as I went through the process I have to admit it felt more like an assembly line than anything else. But on the flip side, my colorist and the shampoo girl were fantastic and very, very funny. My stylists was shorter than I, and weighed all of 90 pounds with messed up dyed red dreadlocked hair who wielded the scissors like a surgeons scaple and the blow dryer with the exaggerated movements of an actor, all the while never saying a word to me. It was one of the most bizarre afternoons of my life and it set be back a half a car payment. But all I can say is that I look fantastic. The highlights and lowlights are so subtle, yet my hair has such amazing color to it, the cut is incredible and I feel like a million dollars. So the moral of the story is although it might seem scary, sometimes trying something new can bring forth unexpeced benefits.

So tomorrow, its off to Waco for the Audit, I then bring Stephen back, input the data and its off to SA for a fantastic fun filled weekend!!

Looking forward to seeing everyone and for everyone to see my new do! :)

1 comment:

Sarah Loyd said...

aaaahhhhh, I'm in total suspense to see what you've got going on!!